Love Baseball? Get the best seat in the house. Become an Umpire!
Umpiring is a great opportunity for players in our older divisions to continue to learn more about the rules of baseball, as well as to make a little bit of money over the summer.
Of course, umpiring is not restricted to our players, anyone born in 2011 or earlier (12 and up) can certify to become an umpire.
No baseball experience is required.
We encourage our experienced umpires to help mentor and guide our younger, inexperienced umpires.
Umpiring is a great first job, or if you want to make some extra money with a flexible schedule. Umpiring is also a great for building character, teamwork, leadership skills, building life long friendships, and a great way to stay active.
Expectations for our Umpires
As with any job, there are expectations and responsibilities...
The cost to become a certified is the responsibility of the umpire. Exeter Minor Ball will offer a $20 gift certificate to any current umpire that brings in a new umpire. (New umpire must complete an umpire course and work minimum of 3 games for Exeter Minor Baseball, excluding tournament games).
Umpire Uniform - You will need a blue collared shirt (ordered from Exeter Minor Ball), grey pants, black shoes, and a black baseball cap. Each umpire will need to purchase their own umpire set (umpire indicator, brush and bag).
Equipment - Basic catchers gear is required for working behind the plate, this includes a mask, check protector, shin guards, and protective cup. We recommend you purchase your own basic catchers gear however, there is youth gear available to use at each diamond (excluding a protective cup). Please remember to put the equipment back after each game for the next umpire. Each umpire will need to purchase their own umpire set which includes, an umpire indicator, brush and bag.
Umpires are expected to be at the field 10 minutes prior to game time, and to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. This includes
- Not fraternizing with either team, even if you know some of the people playing or coaching on either team.
- Umpires will be expected to follow the Baseball Ontario -- Umpires Code of Conduct (link below).
- EMB strives to create an enjoyable experience for all involved. However, if there are any incidents at the field, please fill out a incident report form (insert form) following the game in question.
- This will allow our Umpire-in-Chief to follow up with you, and any other individuals, and to help bring a resolution to any issues. We are here to support you!
- Any questions you may have (e.g., understanding of rules/situations, perhaps a call you made that you weren't 100% sure of, etc.) should be directed to [email protected] . We want you to feel free to reach out at any time. There are no silly questions!