Fall Tryouts for EMB U12 & U14 PWSA Teams!
2020: Exeter Extremes U12 & U14 PWSA Team
For the 2020 Exeter Extremes Fastball Season, there will be two 'competitive’ PWSA team entering the Grand Valley Ladies Softball League (GVLSL) in the U12 Squirt division, Tier II, which is for players born in 2008 and 2009 & U14 Peewee division, Tier II, which is for players born in 2006 and 2007.
The information below provides a summary of what is involved. There are some notable differences compared to past seasons in the Huron Perth League. This includes some added cost, added travel, and added expectation on player commitment to practices and games
This information is not intended to scare anyone away; however, we want everyone to have a clear understanding of what is involved in order to make an informed decision if this is something a player has interest in.
● The team would have one to two monthly practices throughout the fall and winter months at local indoor facilities (e.g., school gyms).
● The roster size is expected to be at least 10 plus 2 alternates. A firm commitment is required from all players in order to field a team that can develop and compete at this level.
● Depending on the level of interest there will be tryouts required to select players for the final roster. A $40 tryout fee would be required to compete for a roster spot.
Tryouts will be held on the following dates:
i) EXETER EXTREME DIAMOND: Saturday, September 7th: (U12 - 8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m., U14 - 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.) Raindate: Sunday, September 8th, 2019 (same times)
ii) EXETER DIAMOND 2: Wednesday, September 11th: (U12 - 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., U14 - 7:30p.m. - 9 p.m.) Raindate: Thursday, September 12th (same times)
iii) EXETER EXTREME DIAMOND: Sunday, September 15th: (U12 - 8:30 a.m. - 10 a.m., U14 - 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.) Raindate: TBA (if required)
● During the regular season, all players would bat and field as expected; however, as a competitive team there would be some players who play more than others.
● During Provincial Qualifiers, Provincials, and during the GVLSA year end tournament, the playing rules are slightly different. The team would be required to have 9 players in the batting order, and only those players would hit and field. Substitutions in and out of the lineup occur during the game, and the team would have a regular rotation for playing and sitting that would be followed.
● There would also be an additional cost added to registration, above the amount paid to Exeter Minor Ball. This is to cover the added cost of entering the GVLSL. The added cost was around $150 last year. This does not include travel costs or accommodations.
● Players would be required to purchase an additional uniform as well.
● Last years' U14 regular season consisted of 22 games with a home-and-home against each team. The first 5 games would be played in one location during 'Opening Weekend' (it was held in early May in Cambridge during 2019). At this time, the team would play teams who are the furthest away geographically.
● Most league games are on weeknights, starting at 6:30pm. There would typically be one practice per week during the regular season, depending on the schedule.
● There is also a possibility that the team would play in an additional tournament(s) which would be discussed at a later date, as well as the ones listed below:
i) PWSA Qualifier Tournament in early August (location TBA)
ii) PWSA Provincials in mid August (location TBA)
iii)GVLSA Playoff Tournament in late August (location TBA)
** If your daughter is interested in trying out for this team, please respond by September 5th via email to Kendra Craig at [email protected] **